26 September 2023 – Widespread fires have occurred across South Africa in the last weeks and devastating flooding in the Western Cape during the past 48 hours. This comes after extreme waves also hit the coastline last weekend, leaving much damage to infrastructure.
Please earnestly join us in prayer for God’s great mercy and grace to rest on those affected, and who have lost everything.
- Clean-up operations in flood-stricken areas started early this morning, but for life to get back to normal will take weeks and months. Pray for all municipalities in and around the affected areas to take up responsibility and also help one another in the rebuilding process.
- Continue to pray for all dam walls to hold and not break because of the severe flooding. Also lift up in prayer engineers and those responsible for assessing damage and overseeing the rebuilding of bridges and roads – that the restoration work will be done well.
- Pray especially for the availability of shelters for those who are completely stranded – both in formal and informal settlements.
- Pray for a corporate effort by citizens to help rebuild and restore, especially in small towns that have been completely flooded.
- Many have no jobs to return to as their workplaces and livelihoods have been destroyed. Pray for God’s intervention in the plight of the poor and vulnerable.
- Also lift up in prayer all business owners, farmers and entrepreneurs who have suffered loss and may not be able to sustain their businesses or pay their employees. Ask the Lord to show them creative ways to continue earning an income to sustain their businesses.
- Pray for Christians to show the Lord’s compassion and care to those affected by these devastating disasters. May the hearts of many be drawn to Jesus as Saviour.
For more prayer guidelines: https://jwipn.com/natural-disaster-strikes/