26 April 2023 – The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) – a paramilitary group in Sudan – toppled the former dictatorial ruler, President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019, following mass citizen protests that raised hopes for a transition to democracy.
The generals of the two military groupings, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan (SAF) and General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo (RSF) seized power in the 2021 coup, but later fell out, most recently over the planned integration of the RSF into the regular army.
Ten days ago, fighting broke out between the SAF and the RSF paramilitary group, resulting in hundreds of people killed, thousands injured and millions of Sudanese people isolated and without access to essential services. It also sparked a mass exodus of foreigners.
On Tuesday, 25 April 2023, a 72-hour ceasefire between Sudan’s warring generals officially came into effect.
- Previous bids to pause the conflict failed to take hold, but both sides confirmed they had agreed to the three-day halt. Pray for all involved to keep to this agreement for the sake suffering civilians and especially children.
- The ceasefire aims to establish humanitarian corridors, allowing citizens and residents to access essential resources, healthcare and safe zones, while also evacuating diplomatic missions. Please lift up in prayer each of these different matters – pray for the supernatural and speedy evacuation of people from conflict areas, the provision of sufficient healthcare and supplies, potable water and basic food supplies.
- By name, lift up in prayer the two rival military leaders: SAF chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and RSF leader General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo. Pray for their salvation. Ask for their hearts to be transformed to see the impact of their actions and to have compassion on the people.
- According to the United Nations (UN), the ongoing fighting and escalating warfare of recent days, have resulted in the near collapse of the health system. Although they lack medical supplies, volunteers from the Sudanese Red Crescent Society have been able to offer basic first aid assistance at hospitals and clinics in the city. Lift up in prayer the provision of all necessary supplies to tend to the wounded and those in need of healthcare, together with the necessary security to move patients.
- The UN’s World Food Programme suspended operations after three of its employees were killed. Continue to pray for the supernatural multiplication of food, fresh water and other basic needs like clothing, shelter and transport.
- The destruction of public infrastructure has made the situation worse for those trying to flee the dangerous streets of Khartoum and other areas. Dead bodies are everywhere. Pray for the protection of existing infrastructure e.g. bridges, roads, hospitals, buildings for refuge etc.
- Foreign nationals, including South Africans, are stranded in Sudan without diesel or electricity and unstable internet connections amid fighting in the capital Khartoum. Continue to pray for rescue operations to evacuate foreign nationals.
- Many Sudanese people wanting to flee have nowhere to go. One woman said she would rather choose for her and her children to die from starvation than from bombs and shooting. Keep in prayer the thousands of Sudanese who have nowhere to go. Pray for the setting up of safe shelters, where they can find food, water and other basic supplies.
- Those who travel to the country’s borders are often ravaged, robbed or taken advantage of. Pray for a solution in this regard, and for neighbouring countries to step in with humanitarian help and security oversight at border posts. Ask the Lord to send His angels to protect the vulnerable.
- Also lift up in prayer the Sudanese Christians – to be salt and light amidst great darkness.
Father, we lift up before Your throne of grace the situation in Sudan (Hebrews 4:16). Your Word says that You are always a very present help in time of trouble (Psalm 46:1). While Sudan faces this troublesome time, please hide them in Your presence, Your pavilion; in the secret place of Your tabernacle; set them high upon the Rock of ages, the Lord Jesus Christ (Psalm 27:5).
We declare that God is in the midst of Sudan. Sudan shall not be moved. God shall help Sudan, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The LORD of hosts is with Sudan. The God of Jacob is Sudan’s refuge. Come all you leaders of military groups, humble yourself before a Holy God: behold the works of the LORD, who has made desolations in the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire. O you afflicted people of Sudan, be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! Remember Sudan, the LORD of hosts is with you; the God of Jacob is your refuge (Psalm 46:5-11).
We pray Father that You will judge between nations, and rebuke many people; until they beat their swords (destruction) into plowshares (to build and plant), and their spears into pruning hooks. We pray that no longer nation or people will lift up sword against each other, and that they will stop learning how to make war (Isaiah 2:4).