Adapted from Jack Taylor’s Preparation for Personal Prayer
There is great value in periodically evaluating the true state of our spiritual life and walk with Christ. The questions listed here purpose to look into several areas of our lives – both spiritual and practical. No list is complete or comprehensive to cover every necessary aspect, but can already point out to us areas that need our prayerful attention and lifestyle correction. Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you as you prayerfully go through each of these questions.
Matthew 6:12, 14, 15 “Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: “
- Is there anyone against whom you hold a grudge?
- Is there anyone whom you have not forgiven?
- Is there anyone you hate?
- Is there anyone whom you do not love?
- Are there any misunderstandings that you are unwilling to forgive and forget?
- Is there any person against whom you are harbouring bitterness, resentment or jealousy.
- Is there anyone you dislike being praised or spoken well of?
- Do you allow anything to justify a wrong attitude toward another?
Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
- Is there anything in which you have failed to put God first?
- Do you make decisions after your own wisdom, rather than seeking God’s will?
- Does anything interfere with your surrender and service to God: ambition, pleasures, loved ones, friendships, desires for recognition, money, your own plans?
Mark 16:15 “And He said unto them, go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.”
- Have you neglected to seek the lost for Christ?
- Have you failed to witness consistently with your mouth for the Lord Jesus Christ?
- Has your life failed to display the Lord Jesus to the lost?
John 13:35 “By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.”
- Are you secretly pleased over the misfortunes of another?
- Are you secretly annoyed over the accomplishments or advancements of another?
- Are you guilty of any contention or strife?
- Do you quarrel, argue, or engage in heated discussions?
- Are you a partaker in any divisions or contentions?
- Are there people whom you deliberately slight?
Acts 20:35 “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”
- Have you robbed God by withholding His due of time, talents, or money?
- Have you given less than a tenth (tithe) of your income for God’s work?
- Have you failed to support mission work either in prayer or in offering?
I Corinthians 4:2 “Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.”
- Are you dependable, punctual, and faithful in the Lord’s work regarding your responsibilities?
- Are your emotions stirred for things of the Lord, but you do nothing about it?
- Are you doing everything (ministries) God has spoken to you about?
I Corinthians 6: 19-20 “What? Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which you have of God, and you are not your own? For you are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
- Are you in any way careless with your body?
- Do you fail to care for your body as the temple of the Holy Spirit?
- Are you guilty of overindulgence in eating and drinking?
- Do you have any habits which are defiling to the body?
Ephesians 3:20 “Now unto Him that is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.”
- Are you SELF-CONSCIOUS rather than CHRIST-CONSCIOUS?
- Do feelings of inferiority keep you from attempting things you should do for God?
I Corinthians 10:31 “Whether you eat, or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
- Do you take the credit for anything good you do, rather than give all the glory to God?
- Do you talk of what you have done, rather than what Christ has done?
- Are your statements mostly about “I”?
- Are your feelings easily hurt or are you easily offended?
- Have you pretended to be something you are not?
Ephesians 4:28 “Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing, which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. “
- Do you underpay?
- Do you do very little in your work?
- Have you been careless in the payment of your debts?
- Do you waste your time and the time of others, which should have been productive?
Ephesians 4:31 “Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.”
- Do you complain?
- Do you find fault?
- Do you have a critical attitude toward any person or thing?
- Are you irritable or cranky?
- Do you ever carry hidden anger?
- Do you get angry?
- Do you become impatient with others?
- Are you ever harsh or unkind?
Ephesians 5:16 “Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. “
- Do you listen to ungodly radio or TV programmes?
- Do you read unworthy magazines?
- Do you partake in worldly amusements?
- Do you find it necessary to seek satisfaction from any questionable source?
- Are you doing things that show that you are not satisfied with the Lord Jesus Christ?
Ephesians 5:20 “Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. “
- Have you neglected to thank Him for all things, bad and good?
- Have you virtually called God a liar by doubting His word?
- Do you worry? Are you fearful?
- Is your spiritual temperature based on feelings instead of on the facts of God’s Word?
Philippians 1:21 “For me to live is Christ [to live all over again] , and to die is gain. “
- Are you taken up with the cares of this life?
- Is your conversation or heart’s joy over “things” rather than the Lord and His Word?
- Does anything mean more to you than living for and pleasing Christ?
Philippians 2:14 “Do all things without murmurings and disputings. “
- Do you ever by word or deed seek to hurt someone?
- Do you gossip?
- Do you speak unkindly concerning people when they are not present?
- Do you harbour prejudice because someone is different from you, or because they do not see everything exactly like you?
Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, rejoice. . .
- Have you neglected seeking to be pleasing to Him in all things?
- Do you carry any bitterness toward God? Are you angry or disappointed with God?
- Have you complained against Him in any way? Grumbled because of circumstances?
- Have you been dissatisfied with His provision for you?
- Do you have any reservations in obeying His perfect will?
- Have you disobeyed some direct leading of the Holy Spirit?
Colossians 3:9 “Lie not one to another, seeing that you have put off the old man with his deeds.”
- Do you engage in empty and unprofitable conversation?
- Do you ever lie, fib, deceive or withhold the whole truth of a matter?
- Do you ever exaggerate to make yourself look good?
- Do you cheat (on taxes, expense reports)?
- Do you steal (from your employer, or from God)?
- Have you forgotten to return anything you borrowed?
2 Timothy 2:22 “Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.”
- Do you have any personal habits that are not pure?
- Do you allow impure thoughts about the opposite sex to stay in your mind?
- Do you read that which is impure or suggests unholy things?
- Do you indulge in any unclean entertainment?
- Are you guilty of the lustful look? Lustful thoughts? Lustful fantasies?
Hebrews 10:25 “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another; and much more, as you see the day approaching.”
- Do you deliberately stay away from some church services?
- Are you irregular in attendance at services?
- Do you neglect to attend and participate in prayer meetings?
- Have you neglected/slighted daily or private prayer?
- Have you neglected thanksgiving at meals?
- Have you neglected family devotions?
Hebrews 13:7 “Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.”
- Do you hesitate to submit to leaders in the church or elsewhere?
- Are you lazy in spiritual disciplines?
- Do you rebel at requests given to you to help in the work of the gospel?
- Do you have a stubborn streak, or an unteachable spirit?
James 1:27 “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”
- Have you allowed yourself to become “spotted” by the world?
- Is your manner of dress pleasing to God?
- Do you spend beyond what is pleasing to God on anything?
- Do you neglect to pray about the things that you buy?
James 4:6 “But He gives more grace, wherefore He says, God resists the proud, but gives grace unto the humble.”
- Do you feel that you are not as bad as others?
- Are you stubborn?
- Do you insist on having your own way?
- Do you insist on your own “rights”?
James 3:11 “Does a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?”
- Have you dishonoured Him and hindered His work by criticising His servants?
- Have you failed to pray regularly for your pastor and other spiritual leaders?
- Do you find it hard to be corrected?
- Is there rebellion toward one who wants to restore you?
- Are you concerned about what people will think more than what will be pleasing to God?
Do not delay
Do not delay addressing any hindrances that the Holy Spirit may point out to you from these questions, especially where they are not in line with His Word. Do this in prayer and with a repentent heart.