For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. (Psalm 139:13-14).
What a joy and privilege it is for grandparents to pray for and with our grandchildren. Today the authority of God’s Word is being compromised, and our children are facing the consequences of turning to worldly authority. It is therefore important to pray for our grandchildren and for us as grandparents to remember “Who” we are praying to. He is God our Creator; He is Jesus our Saviour and He is the Holy Spirit who guides and encourages us. Let us share our desires for our grandchildren with the Lord. When we pray according to His will, we know that He hears us and will answer our prayers (1 John 5:14-15).
Journaling is a great way for you to share, remember and see God working in your grandchildren’s lives. Start a page for each of your grandchildren with their names and a photo at the top. Write out each need or request, and the date. Go back later and record when or how your prayer was answered.
Prayers we can pray for our grandchildren:
- Gracious Father, thank you for the grandchildren You have blessed me with. I bring them before You and ask that You remain alive in their hearts, and that they will study and love Your Word and view it as authoritative.
- Father, help them to find delight in You and Your Word. Guard them against the paths of sinners and plant them beside rivers of Living Water. May they be prosperous by abiding in You (Psalm 1:1-3).
- Father, I ask that You will be a Shield for my grandchildren and that You will sustain them throughout their lives. Be the One they cry out to and hear them when they call (Psalm 3:3-5).
- Father, please be a Refuge for them and help them to run to You in times of trouble. Thank you for not forsaking them, but instead pursuing them with Your great love (Psalm 9:9-10).
- Sovereign God, let the purity of Your Word preserve them. Speak into their lives and refine them as only You can. Thank You for keeping them in Your loving care (Psalm 12:6-7).
- Gracious God, I pray for wisdom and understanding for my grandchildren; that they would seek You in all things (Psalm 14:2).
- Father, show Your lovingkindness to them and keep them as the apple of Your eye. Thank You for hiding them in the shadow of Your wings and protecting them from harm (Psalm 17:6-8).
- Sovereign God, please strengthen my grandchildren as they go through tough situations in this life. Help them to be strong, able to run against a troop or leap over a wall. Please, remind them that You are sufficient in all their weaknesses (Psalm 18:28-30).
- Father, please reveal Your perfect Word to them, directing their souls unto salvation. Open their ears to hear Your testimony and fill them with Your wisdom. May Your statutes give joy to their hearts. Enlighten their eyes and teach them the fear of the Lord. Please give them a longing in their hearts to desire You more than anything in this world (Psalm 19:7-11).
- Father, may my grandchildren grasp and understand how far, how wide and how deep is the love that caused You to give Your only Son for them (John 3:16; Ephesians 3:18).
- Gracious Father, I pray for them to commit their lives to Christ and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. May they recognise Jesus as the One whose name is above all names, Lord of all. I pray for them to trust Him alone and not lean on their own understanding (Philippians 2:9-11; Proverbs 3:5).
- Father, please meet them right where they are, with blessings of Your goodness. Place a crown on their heads – a crown of love, peace and salvation. Lead them into Your presence so that they might discover fulness of joy (Psalm 21:3-4).
- Good Shepherd, please guard and guide my grandchildren and help them to want for nothing because they have found all they need in You (Psalm 23).
- Father, may they hate sin, love holiness and righteousness, and press on daily in Spirit-filled living – love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, self-control, patience, and kindness (Psalm 119:9,11; Galatians 5:22-23).