Christ’s messages to the churches of Asia Minor in the first century can be found in Revelation 2-3. However, these messages speak to churches throughout the ages. By praying through these chapters, you can plead with God to bring revival and change to your church. The following are suggested prayer requests concerning revival in your church, which you can pray:
(1) Ephesus (Revelation 2:1-7): The church known for having laboured hard and not fainted, and for having separated themselves from the wicked. However, they were admonished for having forsaken their first love.
Pray that God will give believers a renewed love and passion for the Lord Jesus so that they will labour for His purposes in the church, and separate themselves from everything wicked.
(2) Smyrna (Revelation 2:8-11): The church admired for their tribulation and poverty. They were warned that they would suffer persecution.
Pray for the church to remain steadfast amidst tribulation. Pray that money will not be a stumbling block or cause their faith to fail. Pray for the church to prepare herself to stand firm on the Word, despite persecution.
(3) Pergamum (Revelation 2:12-17): The church where ‘Satan’s seat’ or ‘throne’ was. They needed to repent of following the doctrines of false teachers.
Ask that believers will commit themselves to be faithful to the Lord Jesus Christ, no matter what their circumstances are. Pray for believers to become deeply rooted in Scripture, and to be able to discern every false doctrine, false teacher and false prophet. Call on God to convict believers of the evil of tolerating sin and false doctrine in the midst of the church (Revelation 2:12-17).
(4) Thyatira (Revelation 2:18-29): The church known for its charity, whose latter works were ‘greater than the former’. However, they held to the teachings of a false prophetess.
Plead with God to reveal any form of immorality in the church. Ask God to strengthen marriages in your church, and for single individuals to live a life of sexual purity. Pray for your church to be an example of marital faithfulness and sexual purity to the world.
(5) Sardis (Revelation 3:1-6): The church that had a good name, although they were cautioned to fortify themselves and return to God through repentance.
Pray for discernment to see where we have gone astray as the church. Ask God to raise up watchmen in every church to be watchful in prayer. Pray for every ministry to be brought before the Lord again for His approval and correction in order to strengthen areas where negligence has crept in.
(6) Philadelphia (Revelation 3:7-13): The church steadfast in faith, which had kept God’s Word and endured patiently.
Pray that God will strengthen the church to remain steadfast in faith, discerning right from wrong, perseverance, endurance and allegiance to the commission of the Lord Jesus Christ.
(7) Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22): The church that was lukewarm and dull towards God.
Pray that God will mould the church into a body that He can use powerfully (Revelation 3:7-13). Plead that God would deal with any hindrances that are keeping your church from providing a powerful witness and ministry to the world. Plead that God would destroy a self-sufficient, proud spirit. Pray that God would create in believers a desire to pursue holiness and obedience rather than being content with an appearance of spiritual life and spiritual vitality.