Too often we stop praying for individuals once they get converted. It is important that we intercede purposefully for new converts.
The following are some guidelines:
- Pray that they will grow to spiritual maturity. In Ephesians 4:13 and 15 it says: “…until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Him who is the Head, that is, in Christ.”
- Pray for a greater dying to self and that the person would conform to the death of Christ and would experience the power of his resurrection. Philippians 3:10-11 says: “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in His sufferings, becoming like Him in his death and so somehow to attain to the resurrection from the dead.”
- For growth in love, spiritual knowledge and insight and sensitivity. Philippians 1:9-11 says: “And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that come through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God.”
- Pray that they may be filled with the Holy Spirit. “If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” Luke 11:13.
- Pray for the power of the Holy Spirit to be a faithful witness. Acts 1:8 says: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.”
- Pray that the new believer will discover the gifts that the Holy Spirit gave him/her to use. 1 Cor. 12:11 says: “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and He gives them to each one, just as He determines.”
- Pray for humility and that the person will be willing to be taught and mentored by others.
- Pray for the person to have disciplined quiet times to read the Bible and pray regularly. Pray for understanding when he/she reads the Bible and that they will grow in their prayer life.
- Pray that the person will be a disciple, a follower of Christ Jesus.
- Pray that the person will become actively involved in a congregation and do his/her duty in the Kingdom of God.
- Pray for the person to be able to witness with spontaneity about their salvation and new life in Christ.
- Pray with the new believer for the ability to overcome sins with which he/she has had a problem, e.g. temper, jealousy, wilfulness etc.
- Pray for the person’s relationship with his/her family; if it is a child, for the relationship with parents; if it is a married person, for the relationship with his/her spouse and children.
- Pray for the person like a sculptor works on a piece of marble. The sculptor chisels away piece by piece with his hammer and chisel until the image that he wants is before him. We must do the same in prayer; pray until Christ takes shape in the person.
It is important not to force new converts to be conformed into your image. Allow the Holy Spirit to bring them to spiritual maturity and to change them to be conformed to the image of Christ.