The Police, traffic officers, security guards, emergency personnel, road assistance etc. are just a few of the essential services a nation needs to operate and function daily. The individuals in essential law enforcement services need our ongoing prayers and support to enable them to execute their duties effectively and safely.
Scripture reading: Psalm 71:1-4 – In you o Lord, do I put my trust and confidently take refuge; let me never be put to shame or confusion! Deliver me in Your righteousness and cause me to escape; bow down Your ear to me and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge in which to dwell, and a sheltering stronghold to which I may continually resort, which You have appointed to save me, for You are my Rock and my Fortress. Rescue me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the grasp of the unrighteous and ruthless man.
1. SALVATION: The harsh circumstances they face daily may leave many feeling angry towards God or thinking that He does not exist at all, because He allows such difficulty. Pray for the salvation of law enforcement officers, that they will experience the love of Jesus in very tangible ways and make Him their tower of refuge in times of trouble. (1 Timothy 2:4)
2. PEACE AND WISDOM: Pray for them not to be anxious for anything but that the peace of God will guard their hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7). Also, that they may not be wise in their own eyes, but that they will gain wisdom through fear of God. (Proverbs 3:7).
3. DISCERNMENT: All law enforcement officers face uncertain situations when they must make split-second decisions which can have life-altering consequences for everyone involved. Pray for them to have godly discernment; to know what to do in every situation.
4. PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL SAFETY: They often deal with situations that are life threatening or have to deal with people who may be aggressive. Pray for them to be wise in using their protective equipment, as well as, managing crowd control in a way that no one will get hurt.
5. INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS: Their work is extremely demanding and emotionally draining. Coming home tired and stressed will have an impact on their spouse, children, friends and family relationships. Please pray for their families to cover them in prayer, to be a blessing to them and a safe place after a long day in the field.
6. HOPE AND ENCOURAGEMENT: They are bombarded daily with the worst of situations: in people’s homes, at murder scenes, robberies, hi-jackings etc. as they do their best to bring law and order. Pray for their emotional well-being, that they will find a way to release the tension and negativity by investing in their relationship with the Lord. Ask for them to find comfort and support also in healthy relationships with their spouse and godly friends, to overcome the emotional impact of all they experience.
7. FACING DEATH: Pray for those who have lost a spouse, a parent or a child in action while doing their duty to protect the nation. Ask for them to find comfort in the Lord, and the supernatural ability to forgive the offenders responsible for the death of their loved one. Pray especially for the children who have lost a parent, to receive the necessary help to process what happened. (Revelation 21:4).
8. PUBLIC GOODWILL: Pray for the public to respect law enforcement officers in executing their daily tasks in society. Also to minister to them and pray for them where ever they are performing their duties: in buildings (e.g. police stations), the streets, the marketplace, etc.