This article, written by author Bennie Mostert, is the last of three parts that focus on the characteristics of men whom God wants to work through in the world.
(I want to acknowledge Zac Poonen’s pamphlet, “God needs men”. I quoted liberally from it.)
When God wants to do something in the world, He always looks for a person through whom he can do it.
It was E.M. Bounds who said: “What the church needs today is not more machinery or better, not new organisations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Spirit can use. The Holy Spirit does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men … natural ability and educational advantages do not figure as factors in this matter; but capacity for faith, the ability to pray. “
The power of God works through men who consecrate their lives to God, choose to be “little” – an absolute losing of one’s self in God’s glory and an ever-present and insatiable yearning and seeking after all the fullness of God. Such men will set the church ablaze; not in a showy way, but with an intense and quiet heat that melts and moves everything for God … God can work wonders if He can get suitable men.
Let’s look at more characteristics of such men
- Men who put their devotion and love of God above the opinions of people, whether that of family, children, their wives or spiritual leaders.
- Men who follow the Lord obediently, in childlikeness, even if they cause offence, are scorned or rejected. Their only desire is to please God.
- Men who devote themselves to one wife, live in a pure relationship with her and in no way make room for any third party.
- Men to whom God’s honour and His exaltation, will and kingdom take priority over personal need, want or convenience.
- Men who can differentiate between what is born of the Spirit and what is born of the flesh. They have the discernment to understand the Word of God correctly under the leadership of the Spirit, and live from the Word in spirit and in truth.
These men evaluate life from a heavenly perspective.
- Men who evaluate life and circumstances from a heavenly perspective and with eternity in mind, and not from a human perspective that has temporary value only.
- Men who will pray as fathers for their children and as husbands for their wives. They will bring the needs of their children and wives to God the Father daily, will pray for their protection and spiritual growth, will bless them daily and pray that God will deliver them from evil.
- Men who will pray as priests of God without ceasing and with perseverance, who remind God of His promises, who know that the Name of Jesus Christ and the price He paid for our salvation are their only access to the throne of God. Their own needs are less important than the needs of a broken and lost world.
If need be, they will stand alone and not compromise.
- Men who, if need be, will stand alone in the world and not compromise, just as the apostles, prophets and the men of God had to stand alone through the ages.
- Men who are willing to be everything to everybody so that some can be saved.
- Men who will pray for the powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the church, who will bring about that marriage is restored to its original status, that it is honoured again. They will bring about that children will have fathers again and grow up in security and truth, in this way becoming spiritual descendants who will serve God and bring relief to a suffering world.
Do you want to be such a man?
It is through men with these characteristics that God will bring transformation and change the future of our country.
There are few such men, as the price is high. Ask yourself if you want to be such a man amid a crooked and warped generation, a generation of people who have become slaves to pleasure and live for themselves. People who have started serving new idols in their hearts and given themselves up to the occult.
God has not become like us (Ps.50:21). God’s standards are not our standards (1 Pet. 1:15-16). God does not come down to our level. He remains God. He judges according to His standards. His Word remains true whether we believe it or not, irrespective of what people have to say about it today, or to what extent they water it down, and regardless of whether the full counsel of God is proclaimed.
May we be such men by the grace of God.