1 Tim.2:1-2 has clear instructions that we should pray “for kings and all those in authority.” This is a direct instruction from Scripture which we should regard seriously. A battle is under way in the air for political rule in each country. If the powers of darkness are allowed to work undisturbed, they will get control over governments and people in positions of authority.
- Get information from newspapers, TV and radio about the government to use in your prayer time.
- Do not pray general prayers. Wait on the Lord and ask Him to reveal to you, through the Holy Spirit, for which issues and persons you have to pray. Do not pray your own desires or opinions.
- Do not pray prayers of condemnation. Pray for God’s blessing and favour on the government. Pray for God’s mercy and grace on the work of government. Ask the Lord what His will is and pray accordingly.
What should we pray for?
- Pray for the president, ministers, premiers, members of Parliament, provincial authorities, mayors, advisors, ambassadors and government officials. When you know the names of these people, pray for them by name. The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases. (Prov.21:1) Remove the wicked from the king’s presence, and his throne will be established through righteousness. (Prov.25:5)
- Pray for Parliament and legislation; that laws will not be passed which will lead to injustice, waste and oppression or oppose the Word of God, or hinder the proclamation of the gospel. By justice, a king gives a country stability, but one who is greedy for bribes tears it down. (Prov.29:4) If a king judges the poor with fairness, his throne will always be secure. (Prov.29:14)
- Look at government leaders the way Jesus would look at them — as people appointed by Him, who have to do His work, people who are sinners and need personal salvation and need God’s wisdom to do their work. Pray for them with the mind of Christ. For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Cor.2:16)
- Pray that God will reveal Himself to them so that they will see and experience His love. Pray for the blessing of God on their lives and that God’s hand will be on them.
- Pray for their families: for peace in their homes, that their families will serve the Lord and will support the leaders in truth, holiness and with wisdom.
- Ask the Lord to bring corruption to the surface and to remove government leaders who act to the detriment of the country and replace them with Godly leaders. Leave it to the Lord to do it in His own time and way.
- Pray that leaders will realise that they are appointed by God and will have to answer to Him for what was entrusted to them. Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. (Dan.2:20-22)
- Pray for the salvation of government leaders and for peace in the country so that the gospel can spread quickly. I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Saviour, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1 Tim.2:1-4)
- Pray for every government leader to be just and to govern with justice, without prejudice, that their hearts will be filled with love and with the fear of the Lord. Pray that these leaders will live with integrity. He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Mic.6:8) Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling. (Ps.2:10-11) Love and faithfulness keep a king safe; through love his throne is made secure. (Prov.20:28)
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will convict government leaders of sin, where necessary and that they will confess it and turn away from it. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. (John 16:8-11)
- Pray for the breaking of the powers of the Evil One who are trying to get and keep governments in their power. Thank God for the victory of Jesus on the cross and proclaim, declare and confess this victory over the powers of darkness every day. Pray that the wisdom and glory of God in Christ will be made known to the principalities and powers as well as to earthly governments and authorities. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Eph.6:12) Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
- Pray that the church will be a fearless and clear Scriptural prophetic voice to accompany and correct the government when and where necessary. Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. (2 Tim.4:2)
- Pray that the Church will find favour with the government to enable the Church to continue doing its work and that the government will listen to the prophetic voice of the Church. And the child grew and became strong in spirit; and he lived in the desert until he appeared publicly to Israel. (Luk.1:80) And the child grew and became strong; he was filled with wisdom, and the grace of God was upon him. (Luk.2:40) And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and men. (Luk.2:52)
- Pray for government leaders and responsible people who are involved in the following sectors of society: politics, media, religion, culture, economy/business sector, justice, security services (police and prisons) health services (doctors/hospitals) education (schools, colleges, universities) art, recreation and sport, municipalities/local government, government services. Pray for wisdom, insight, good planning, integrity, diligence and that those officials will take responsibility for the work entrusted to them. Also, pray for the breaking of demonic strongholds in any of these areas that cause corruption and injustice to get the upper hand.
Specific people and issues to pray for
1._____________________________ 2. __________________________________
3._____________________________ 4. __________________________________
5._____________________________ 6. __________________________________
7._____________________________ 8. __________________________________
9._____________________________ 10. __________________________________
Prayers for the government compiled from portions of Scripture
Praise be to Your name, O God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are Yours. You change times and seasons; You set up kings and depose them. You give wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. You reveal deep and hidden things; You know what lies in darkness, and light dwells with You. (Dan.2:20-22)
Father, we come before Your throne with requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving for our government and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases You God our Saviour, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. (1 Tim.2:1-4) Our government’s heart is in Your hand LORD; You direct it like a watercourse wherever You please. (Prov.21:1) Remove the wicked counsellors from the presence of our government leaders, the president and ministers, so that they can rule in righteousness and we will be safe. (Prov.25:5) We pray that this government will treat the poor fairly, so that we can have stability in our country. (Prov.29:14)
Lord, show the president, the cabinet and the government leaders, what is good and what You, the LORD, require of them. Work in their hearts to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly before you, our God. (Mic.6:8) Therefore, in the Name of Jesus Christ our Lord, we declare: “You kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and rejoice with trembling.” (Ps.2:10-11) Father, fill the hearts of our government leaders with righteousness so that their eyes will see the evil and wipe it out so that our country will be safe and peaceful. (Prov.20:8) Father, please send the Holy Spirit to come and work in the hearts of the leaders of government, that they will act in righteousness when they come together to make laws and make decisions. In addition, may the Holy Spirit also convict them of sin when and where necessary and of Your judgment that will surely come. (John 16:8-11)
Father, we know that our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Eph.6:12) As Your Church, we pray that You will protect our government from the powers of this dark world, that they will not be involved in witchcraft, idolatry or any occult activities. Have mercy on us! We pray that they will submit themselves to You. As Your Church, we resist the devil where he tries to attack, and deceive the government. (James 4:7)
Father, the weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Cor.10:4-5)
Lord, we pray for a church that will bring a prophetic Word to the government. We pray that the church will be prepared in season and out of season: to correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. (2 Tim.4:2)