Midnight AM on 1 March to Midnight PM on 3 March 2019.
Esther 8:6 For how can I endure to see the calamity which will befall my people, and how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred?”
Proverbs 21:1 The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; he turns it wherever he will.
Please pray and fast for the people of Syria on 1-3 March 2019. People across the Middle East, in the US, and around the world will be joining in.
WHY? People in Syria’s Northeast (Kurds, Christians, Yazidis, and Arabs) have fought ISIS since 2014. They have a homegrown pluralistic democracy giving equal rights to all, including religious minorities and women—a stark contrast to ISIS. A battlefield victory is near, due to US-led Global Coalition Support. But they still face serious threats of invasion from Turkey and the Assad regime, backed by Iran and Russia. ISIS will likely try to regroup. Managing captured ISIS fighters and their families, uncovering genocide and war crimes, and the destruction and causalities of five years of war are huge challenges.
Recent changes in US policy have confused and terrified these people. A power vacuum created by a poorly planned US departure could result in new wars and in chaos affecting the entire region. This area is the only thing keeping Iran from having a highway right up to Israel’s Northern border. Iran poses an existential threat to Israel and to Christians in Syria and Iraq. Turkey poses a threat to all residents of the Northeast—threatening a repeat of its war crimes and genocide in Afrin that started a year ago.
There is much concern about the future of Syria. There is still plenty of turmoil as Turkey, Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime plot on ways to take Northeastern Syria for themselves and crush its nascent democracy and religious freedoms. It’s the only area in the region where people can freely choose to follow Christ and worship without persecution.
ISIS will try to regroup and strike back as is already happening in Iraq. Even today, it was disclosed that new levels of horror are emerging with the discovery of at least 50 severed heads of Yazidi women believed to have been held as sex slaves by ISIS.
It remains critical to encourage US authorities and others to make decisions that lead to long term stability for the region and for Syria, particularly the Northeast where so many have died and suffered for opposing ISIS and its ideology.
God can move mountains and right now we need him to display his “handiwork” in human history (Isaiah 19:23-25).
- For wisdom for President Trump, his military and diplomatic advisers, the Congress, other world leaders, and leaders of the Self-Administration of Northern and Eastern Syria (SANES), including the SDF. Pray that good decisions are made leading to peace and stability for people who have endured unimaginable horrors.
- Pray against deception and intimidation by Turkey, Iran, Assad, Russia, and Islamist terrorists.
- Pray that the sacrifices made by the SDF and others in the region will be rewarded.
- Pray that their dreams of freedom, including religious freedom, will come to pass.
- Pray that all nations fall in line with God’s plans for this area. In Isaiah 19, the Lord speaks of a “highway” between Syria, Israel, and Egypt.
- Pray that roadblocks will be torn down and replaced with a spirit of reconciliation. Pray that the Lord’s name can be known throughout this region and that He will be glorified.
How to Pray?
Pray for at least one hour on each of the days. Fast as the Lord leads you. (A true Esther fast requires abstaining from both food and water for three days. This is not healthy or wise for many people.) The Lord looks at the heart, not what we eat or wear.
Letter of the International Religious Freedom Roundtable to President Trump dated January 9, 2019 with appeals from Christians and Yazidis and maps.
Jerusalem Dateline: 2/1/19 Exclusive: Christians in NE Syria Warn of Genocide and follow on videos