16 Days of Prayer for Healing South Africa
1-16 December 2020
During a time of social and political upheaval in our nation, we have also witnessed the hand of God in protecting our nation from a high death toll related to Covid-19. While we have witnessed and praise God for above average rainfall and growth in the Agricultural sector of our country, there are still forces at work that want to steal, kill and destroy.
The “Healing the Heart” Prayer Initiative is a call to prayer for Healing, Hope and Reconciliation, speaking to the very heart of a broken people. For this purpose we turn to the Book of Psalms which is filled with prayers, lamentations and praise written by David and others. They poured out their hearts before God and petitioned Him for the deep sorrows experienced and for the felt emotions of anger, pain and fear, both personal and national. Praying and declaring these Scriptures forms the foundation of a national two-fold prayer strategy from 1 – 16 December 2020.
PRAYER STRATEGY – PART 1
“16 Days of Healing” (1-16 December 2020)
“Proclaiming His words of Healing over our Nation”
Meditative reading and declaring three Psalms of Prayer, Praise and Lament daily
(The daily Psalms for 1-8 December are repeated from 9-16 December)
- Individuals or groups are invited to take ten minutes per day at a specific time of their choice to pray through the daily Psalms.
- 24/7 Prayer Groups/Networks can also decide to use the social media posters in their hourly schedules for each of the 16 days.
- Consider creating your own virtual prayer group among your friends on WhatsApp/Telegram where you daily post the prayer pointers.
- Daily posters and prayer guide available in English and Afikaans
PRAYER STRATEGY – PART 2
“National Day of Healing” – 16 December 2020
“Healing of the Heart Gatherings”
Testimonies/Message of Hope/Corporate Prayer
- On this day Believers are encouraged to arrange corporate prayer gatherings in their local communities/cities (city halls, churches, public spaces) where people can share their testimonies and a short message of hope/healing and also pray for the healing and restoration of their communities and the nation. The emphasis here is on prayer and each short testimony should be followed by corporate prayer.
- An “Hour of Hope” National Prayer Gathering on Zoom/Facebook will be facilitated by various National Prayer Leaders on Wednesday 16th December, 20:00-21:00.
- 24/7 Prayer Networks or Prayer Groups are encouraged to have a “24 Hour Word Watch” on Wednesday the 16th, from midnight to midnight. (An individual or group fills every hour with the reading of all 24 Psalms out loud, which will take no more than 30 minutes.)
Selection of Psalms relevant to the 3 focus areas
1. Personal Lament
Lament Psalms teach us to pour out our raw emotion and desires before God – and how to release those emotions and desires into His care. (Psalm 6, 13, 59, 61, 62, 63, 64, 84)
2. National Lament
National Laments express deep sorrow for the struggles of a nation and as a group asking for God’s blessing or intervention. (Psalm 130, 12, 44, 58, 60, 82, 83, 85)
3. Praise Psalms
The word praise implies and emphasises a sacrifice… but not just any sacrifice – a sacrifice before the anticipated deliverance happens. (Ps 50:14,23). (Psalm 145, 146, 148, 34, 150, 98, 99, 100)
Messages of Hope
A Collective Prayer Initiative in Partnership with the following networks