Runaway veld fires have torn through large parts of the Northern Cape this week, with the blaze spreading more than 100km since it was first discovered on Saturday. Large sections of both the N8 and N12-roads in the Northern Cape have been closed off. Over the past few days strong winds drove these fires out of control in several areas in the Northern Cape and fires also spread into the Free State. Agri Northern Cape says that the extent of the damage of these latest fires will only be established once it has been brought under control. Last month, a fire in the Kuruman and Kathu areas burned about 150,000ha of farmland and affected more than 50 farmers, burning 90%-100% of their land.
Call upon the name of the Lord…
- Father of mercy, we call upon Your name for help from the sanctuary, from Your very presence. (Psalm 20:2).
- Remember mercy o Lord upon the land, upon the animals, upon the people. You are a gracious God, and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. We pray for Your goodness to become visible amidst this situation, Your tender mercies to manifest over all Your works. (Psalm 145:8-9).
- Remember that we are mere men, a breath that passes away and does not come again. (Psalm 8:4, 78:39, 144:4).
Pray for those on the ground…
- Pray for the gentle hand of the Father upon the hearts and minds of farmers as they evaluate the damage the fires have caused. Ask for God to comfort their overwhelmed hearts as they deal with the loss of livestock, game and income for the next year. (Jeremiah 8:18).
- Pray for everyone impacted by these fires, among their many questions, to have a deep desire to find their comfort in God, for God’s Word and promises give life and His Name surrounds those who call on Him. (Psalm 119, 50, 55, 57-58).
- Prevailing fires. Pray for continuing fires to be put out, for the strong winds to subside, and for widespread rains to cover this region in the next days, weeks and months, restoring the land.
- Pray for the President to promptly address this situation and to appoint relief and help to farmers. Many labourers depend on an income from working on farms.
- Pray about the future economic impact of these fires. Ask for leaders in agriculture and business to take hands in the months to come, especially as far as job losses are concerned.
- Pray for a supernatural unity to come among people of all races and people groups like never before – everyone taking care of the other and helping one another where possible. (Nehemiah 4:17).
- Pray for investigations into the cause of the fires to be successful and any possible perpetrators to be found and brought to justice.
- Pray God’s blessing from Scripture over our land and its people:
- Hear us as we pray o LORD, for Your lovingkindness is good; turn to us according to the multitude of Your tender mercies. (Psalm 69:16)
- Remember, o LORD, Your tender mercies and Your lovingkindness towards our nation, for they are from of old. (Psalm 25:6)
- Do not withhold Your tender mercies from our nation and its people, o LORD; let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve us as we cry out to You. (Psalm 40:11)
- Despite what we see in the natural, we thank you Lord that You are gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger and great in mercy. We declare that You, the LORD, is good to all, and Your tender mercies are over all Your works. (Psalm 145:8-9)
- Reveal Yourself as the God who meets all the needs of those crying out to You according to Your glorious riches in Christ Jesus. To You our God and Father, be glory for ever and ever. Amen (Philippians 4:19-20)