At the moment Nigeria is responsible for nearly 90% of all Christians being killed all over the world by Boko Haram and the Fulani herdsmen. This is basically happening in Northern Nigeria. Boko Haram, especially, has links with ISIS and al Qaida. The situation significantly worsened in Northern Nigeria recently. According to the United Nations, over 30,000 people fled to Cameroon amid fears of renewed attacks by militants, following the assault in January 2019.
Could this armed extremist group succeed in making Nigeria an Islamic State?
Some observers say they’ve already taken steps toward that possibility. In their mind, maybe they think it can. They’re also linking with groups like Al Qaida and ISIS, so they’re very dangerous. One of the things that people need to understand is that you cannot defeat an ideology. They may even change their name and become something else.
You’ve got situations where these guys are coming in and they’re causing havoc. When it comes to inspiring panic, these jihadists have established a fearsome reputation. They will simply enter a town and start to kill – 20 or 50 or a 100. Often churches are burnt down and Christian businesses are destroyed. They also kill Muslims that try to protect the Christians or Muslims who they think are not radical enough in following Islam. But still, the gospel is making advances in Northern Nigeria. Many people are coming to know Jesus.
- For the government to protect innocent Christians.
- For Christians to stand firm in their faith and for their physical protection.
- That radical Muslims, and especially leaders, will have radical encounters with Jesus and that many a “Saul” will become a “Paul”.
- Pray for the many families that lost family members, lived through some of the attacks and have to deal with the psychological effects of what they experienced.
- Pray for support from outside. Most Christians simply do not have the means to survive – food, clothing, housing, education, counselling, etc.