Many people are asking questions about the complicated issue of same-sex relationships. After much consultation, exegesis of Scripture passages on same-sex relationships and also comparing it with the historical view of how the church has understood this subject the past 2000 years, there is wide consensus among many Biblical scholars about a Biblical view of same-sex relationships.
The following is a Biblical view of marriage and same-sex relationships:
- Scripture is clear that marriage is a life-long covenant relationship between one man and one woman. (Genesis 1-2; Matthew 19:4-6).
- Scripture is clear that any sexual relationship outside the context of a life-long covenant marriage relationship between one man and one woman, is not God’s will and plan for our lives.
- There are at least seven definite Scripture references addressing same-sex relationships: 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; Jude 7 – in conjunction with Genesis 19:1-13 (Sodom and Gomorrah ) and Judges 19 (Gibeah); Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13; Romans 1:18-32; I Corinthians 6:9-10; and I Timothy 1:8-11. All these references hold the same view on same-sex relationships. All these passages explicitly condemn any form of same-sex activity and describe it as sin. These Scriptures are explicit that same-sex activities must be treated as all other sins mentioned in Scripture. Non-prejudiced exegesis of these references, and viewed within the context of Genesis 1-2, clearly shows that same-sex relationships are not in line with God’s purpose for humankind.
- Christians have the responsibility to keep Scripture at the centre of all their sharing, preaching and their Christian witness. The Bible should be the only guideline for discerning truth. Scripture is clear about the importance of love, as well as the importance of truth. Scripture demands both truth and love. (1 John 2:5; Ephesians 4:15).
- There is complete forgiveness, healing, deliverance and restoration through the blood of Jesus for all sins mentioned in Scripture. The Church of Jesus Christ has the responsibility and privilege to reach out to all people with compassion, grace and love, and to give testimony also of what the Bible teaches about marriage and sexual relationships. Scripture commands the Church (every Christian), to share the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ with every person concerning God’s grace and love, His forgiveness of sin, His healing and deliverance etc. This can be found only through faith in Jesus Christ and through confession and repentance of sin.
- Jesus Himself endorsed the Old Testament (Genesis 1-2) understanding of marriage (Matthew 19:4-6). Jesus Christ affirmed that: a) God created humans as either male or female, a divine creation; b) heterosexual marriage is a divine institution and c) heterosexual fidelity is the divine intention of God.
- All people should, at all times, be treated with love, dignity and respect, and we need to pray for them. Every individual has a choice on what he or she wants to believe about sexuality and has a choice in accepting or rejecting the message of the gospel of the Bible.
For further study, the following two reviews of the subject are strongly recommended. The first is a summary of a booklet (pdf document) by the theologian John Stott: Same-Sex Partnerships? A Christian Perspective. https://tinyurl.com/y63pnt78 The full version of this 80-page paperback booklet is available on Amazon (also in Kindle). Homosexual marriage by John Stott is another recommended resource. https://tinyurl.com/y37p8ewc