‘…to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me’. (Acts 26:18). Since the birth of the Yazidis as a definite group in the 12th century, they have experienced 73 genocides. The Yazidis are a very closed group with a complex religion. There were only a small handful of Christian Yazidis before 2014, but the war in Iraq opened the door for Christians to reach them with the love of Christ and provided opportunities to share the gospel.
In 2014, the world saw savagery unleashed on Yazidis in Iraq on a scale few could imagine. These traumatic events played a role in the fact that, for the first time in history, hundreds of Yazidis started to put their faith in Christ. Many Yazidis fled to Erbil and Dohuk, enabling Christian ministries in these areas to reach this people group which had previously been inaccessible.
- For many Yazidis to experience divine healing. This creates an openness to listen to the gospel.
- For the people who serve the Yazidis and help them to care for their physical needs.
- For Christian workers to be very sensitive when reaching out to Yazidis.
- Praise the Lord for continued medical refugee care. During one outreach with a mobile medical clinic, three volunteer doctors, five volunteer nurses, five church members, one psychologist and one dentist served 2,500 Yazidi people (50 to 80 people per day)!
Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us”? Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.” (Isaiah 6:8). Just stop for a moment and think about the volunteers who are working day by day with hundreds of thousands of refugees streaming into Europe. Remember also, the thousands of volunteers and NGO workers in various Middle East nations working in refugee camps. Christian workers have been interviewed. Here are some of their comments: “Pray for us. We haven’t had a day off in almost a year. Our families are sacrificing for this cause”. (Volunteer team in Croatia). “It is unbelievable. I constantly look around me, and I cannot believe what is happening here. We have seen everything. It is never quiet here. I am tired of it all”. The need for workers is so overwhelming that the constant cry we hear from the Middle East and Europe is “We need more people to come and help”!
- For more Christian volunteers, who are filled with the Holy Spirit, to go to this harvest field.
- According to the following two Scriptures for all volunteers, and especially for those from Christian organisations:
- “Come to Me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest”. (Matthew 11:28).
- He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:29-31).
- For converts to persevere in the midst of much tribulation, rejection and humiliation.
- That God will give MBB Christians who can disciple them.
- That they will discover TV and/or radio stations that provide discipleship material and teaching.
- For new converts to find “safe houses”, Christian families or churches, where they can feel at home, protected and loved.