The Name of Jesus is of utmost importance in intercession. Without His Name we are unable to do anything, without His Name we do not have the right to enter into God’s presence to ask for anything of Him in prayer.
To pray in Jesus’ Name is the key to all the power and promises of God.
Wesley Duewel says that to pray in Jesus’ Name means, among other things, the following:
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to be conformed to His nature.
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to pray for His sake.
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to use His Name as your reference.
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to claim Calvary’s victory for your need.
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to acknowledge His full role as God’s anointed – your Prophet, Priest and King.
- To pray in Jesus’ Name is to pray with all His authority.
To pray in Jesus’ Name is the key to all the power and promises of God. Jesus explicitly says that we should pray in His Name:
- John 14:13-14 – “And I will do whatever you ask, ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask Me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”
- John 15:16 – “You did not choose Me, but I chose you to go and bear fruit; fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”
- John 16:23-24 – “I tell you the truth, My Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.”
- John 16:26 – “In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.”
During the time the Bible was written, a person’s name described his character. A person’s name tells you who the person is and what you can expect from him. There are many different names in Scripture for the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, that tell us who they are and what we can expect from them.
A great book on this subject about praying in Jesus’ Name is Living and praying in Jesus’ Name by Dick Eastman and Jack Hayford.
How should I use the Name of Jesus? Ponder the Names here below, pray them, use them as “weapons” in prayer warfare. Use the Name of the Lord Jesus in the same way as you would use the promises of God in Scripture.
Here are a few thoughts by Wesley Duewel in connection with the use of Jesus’ Name:
- Remind yourself of what His Names represent.
- Delight yourself in His precious Name.
- Express your love for Him by using His Name.
- Believe on His Name.
- Bring forth your requests in His Name.
- Use the authority of His Name.
- Get His assistance by using His Name.
- Use Jesus’ Name as a shelter.
- Do everything in the Name of Jesus.
(This is only an extract of the full article)