Arab world media shared the following:
This year (2018), and this month (October), we pray that our mighty God would overcome the hopelessness that has permeated many hearts in Syria. This is long-term hopelessness. We pray knowing that, despite the grim outlook, God is doing something wonderful in the lives of many Syrians, and particularly among refugees. We’ve seen it ourselves. God is giving Syrian men and women a different kind of hope that comes only through knowing Jesus.”
“Since 2014, we have prayed to break the strongholds of hopelessness and despair, pride and power, darkness, and deception. Pray, knowing that, despite the grim outlook, God is doing something wonderful in the lives of many Syrians, and particularly among refugees. We’ve seen it ourselves. God is giving Syrian men and women a different kind of hope that comes only through knowing Jesus.”
“Adults and children have lived through the unthinkable. Many children have lost the carefree childhood they once had and are missing out on school because they need to work to feed their families. Boys and girls are growing up without mothers and fathers. Imagine what living like this for years does to a person!
Don’t let this dishearten you, though. Use the compassion you feel to fuel your prayers and be encouraged by the truth of Scripture. In 1 Chronicle, David says: Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually! Remember the wondrous works that he has done, his miracles and the judgments he uttered… (16:11-12 ESV). This is as true today as it was in David’s time.”
- Syrians who have completely lost hope. Pray that in their despair they would seek out the Lord God and bring their needs to him. Pray that they would cry out to him and that he would meet them in a powerful way.
- Pray specifically for children. Lift up those who have been traumatised, those who have been orphaned, those who have lost loved ones. Pray for moments of normal childhood – time to laugh and play. Pray for seeds of hope.
- Lift up the Christian communities of Syria. May our brothers and sisters be a source of light and hope for others. May they continue to trust and glorify the Lord.
- Pray for clear signs that the war is finally coming to an end. Ask God to pour out wisdom and humility on those who need it most.
- Finally, pray for some groups of Druze and Kurds who have come to faith and are being mentored. We see that the Spirit is doing something new among these peoples.