We have to understand clearly why we are on earth. We are not on earth for ourselves. We are here to glorify God and to do His will. We are not here primarily for our own success and welfare. Scripture clearly states that we have to first seek His kingdom.
When you pray for God’s will for your life, there are a few important issues which you have to consider:
a) Make sure that there is no known unconfessed sin in your life. Take a few minutes and ask the Holy Spirit to show you anything that may grieve Him.
b) Obedience is of the utmost importance. Be sure to do everything the Lord shows you. Obey immediately.
c) Do not ask God for His will for your life if you are not willing and have not made a definite decision to do what He ask of you.
What to pray
1. Ask God to reveal His character to you: for a deeper understanding of His character and works and how He feels about you. Knowledge about God is not enough, we need to be in a personal relationship with Him. Eph.1:16-17 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.
2. Pray to be filled with the Spirit of God every day. Isa.11:2 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD. Eph.5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
3. Pray for the anointing of the Holy Spirit to enable you to fulfil your calling as a Christian – you need the anointing of the Holy Spirit to be of service in the kingdom of God. Luk.4:18-19 The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour.
4. Ask the Lord to show you His dream for your life and then live that dream. Ask the Lord to show you your calling and your vocation. Ps.139:16-17 Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!
5. Pray for your marriage and family life, that God will be glorified through your conduct and that you will show mercy and grace to your spouse and children. Pray to have the mind of Christ towards them. Eph.5:21-28; 6:4 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy…. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies… Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
6. Pray for yourself for a hunger and thirst for the Word, for knowledge, insight and that the Spirit will break open the Word so that you will be able to understand it. Deut.8:3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
7. Ask the Lord to reveal to you His priorities for your life and to give you wisdom and power to live accordingly. Matt.6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.
8. Ask the Holy Spirit to enable you to resist temptations and to live a holy life. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any form of sin in your life – confess it and turn away from it. 1 Cor.10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
9. Ask the Lord to deliver you from the evil one, to spare you from pain and help that you will not cause pain in other people’s lives. Pray that God will help you not to allow bitterness and unforgiveness in your life. 1 Chron.4:10 Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request.
10. Pray for your health, for a healthy lifestyle and good eating habits.
11. Pray for a lifestyle of waiting on the Lord. Ask the Lord to help you to wait on Him and not to move before you know what He wants you to do for Him and before He moves. Ps.37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; … Ps.130: 6 My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.
12. Pray that you will grow in love, in grace towards others, in holiness, pray to die to self, for a deeper surrender to God and a deeper intimacy with God. Col.4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured.
13. Pray that you will live completely under the control of the Holy Spirit, that you will live from the Word and that everything you do and think will be based on Scripture. 2 Tim.3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
14. Pray that you will persevere regardless of circumstances, opposition, persecution, failure and rejection. Col.1:11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience. Heb.3:14 We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.
15. Pray to build your life on the foundation of truth, righteousness and justice. Learn to love, to have grace and mercy towards other people on the basis of this foundation. Ps.89:14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.
16. Pray that your only desire will be to know Jesus. Ask the Father to change you through the Holy Spirit to become more and more like Jesus until His character and works will be evident in your life. Phil.3:7-10 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.
17. That God will bless you so that you can be a blessing to others and the nations of the world. Gen.12:2 “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.”
18. That God will make you a cheerful giver. That you will be faithful to serve God with your tithes and offerings. Mal.3:10 “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it”.
19. That you will be content with what God gives you. 1 Tim.6:8 But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.
Father, I pray that You will be merciful and that I will find favour in Your sight to grow strong in the Holy Spirit. (Luk.1:80; 2:40)
May I grow in Godly wisdom and spiritual authority and may Your grace be upon me (Luk.2:40)
And may I increase in wisdom and in favour with God and men to enable me to do Your work. (Luk.2:40; 2:52)
Help me to witness with boldness. (Acts 1:8)
In Jesus’ Name. Amen.