E. W. Kenyon once said: “Fasting and long hours of prayer do not build faith … Reading books about faith and men of faith and their exploits stirs in the heart a deep passion for faith, but does not build faith. The Word alone is the source of faith.”
Andrew Murray wrote: “Little of the Word with little prayer is death to the spiritual life. Much of the Word with little prayer gives a sickly life. Much of prayer with little of the Word gives more life, but without steadfastness. A full measure of the Word and prayer each day gives a healthy and powerful life.”
Faith comes by hearing the word. (Rm.10:17) Without faith we cannot pray because prayer without faith does not please God. (Heb.11:6) God confirms his Word and his promises with an oath. (Heb.6:16-17)
God cannot be unfaithful to his Word. In the Word God reveals his character to us. The promises in his Word are in line with his being and character to which He is never unfaithful and to which He cannot be unfaithful.
Why must we pray the Word?
- In the Word, God reveals his will. When we pray the Word, we pray God’s will. And when we pray according to the will of God, the word teaches us that God will answer. (1 Jn.5:14-15)
- Secular books give knowledge and can bring insight, but only reading the Word brings faith. When we pray the Word, the Word brings faith into our hearts. (Rm.10:17)
- Scripture/the Word reveals God’s priorities to us. When we pray according to the Word, we come into line with God’s priorities and with it, our lives also comes into line with God’s priorities.
- There is authority in the Word. When the Father created the universe, He created the Word through his Son. The Word spoke a word and there was light and life and people and heavenly bodies. When we proclaim the Word in the spiritual sphere today, call it out as a declaration in the spiritual sphere, there is power in the Word. The Word has power to give life and to re-create because we appeal to the living Word which is capable of keeping its Word and give fulfilment to it.
- The Word teaches us about God ─ his character, being, power, omnipotence, capabilities and attributes. And it is when we understand God better, that we can pray with more faith. Faith is as strong as the Person in whom we believe.